Sunday, July 10, 2011

Why Baseball is a Dying Sport

       Baseball has reached an all time low...literally. Last year's World Series tied for the worst baseball t.v. rating in history, and to prove my point, it is tied with the prior year for the worst. So for two years standing the World Series of baseball has been  about as entertaining as putting dog shit in a microwave...okay that may have been a slight exaggeration, but it is still sad when the Championship series, the pinnacle of a ridiculously long season, has the same amount of viewers as a regular season Monday night football game.
         
Now I could end this blog right now, and leave baseball to its slow and painful death along with all the other horrible reality shows on t.v...I'm looking at you Jersey Shore.

The show is this for 30 minutes...I'm not kidding

       ...But I love baseball, it is Central America's Pastime Goddammit! So I went in a little deeper researching just what made baseball so unappealing to American's. Soon I found myself balls deep in steroid abuse, fat sweaty men, and 'tweaked' hamstrings.

       First off, Baseball may have one of the dumbest mascots I have ever seen. Not only are the Phillies and the Red Sox's mascots eerily similar, they both resemble Shrek's vomit mixed in with some vegetables and thinly sliced shit.




          But then again every sport has their wtf? moments when it comes to mascots like UC Santa Cruz's banana slug mascot for instance. That's when it hit me. Baseball has joined soccer as the only
Where's the card ref! Did you see how hard he stared at me?!?
sport where players can get hurt without even being touched. Never in my life have I seen so many professional athletes get injured running all of 30 yards to first base. You would think with all the time waiting in the dugout they could do a little stretching or something. Of course I don't blame them, I'd fake an injury too if I had to play 162 games a season. At the end of the day, American's watch sports to see the best athletes in the world compete. Unfortunately baseball isn't exactly filled to the rim with top class athletes. You don't see football fans saying, "Joe Montana did it on beer and hotdogs!!"

        Baseball is still a beautiful sport and requires a vast amount of skill, but no one wants beautiful, we want violence, speed, and power. So maybe instead of using bats to hit baseballs they should turn that shit into a beat down brawl, cage match style. I guarantee you it'd gain interest. Hell, I'd watch it.

2 comments: